Welcome to the Season of the Witch Blog!
LeFay here! We decided to create a blog as a place to share our show notes and any additional information we feel like we didn’t get a chance to cover during the show. Our hopes are to maintain this blog as a fun study guide/extra resource to look over while you’re listening and learning with us. I don’t plan on keeping ALL of the notes as that would become redundant but I’ll leave any links I have found and will as the blog continues maybe I’ll get a chance to share my own thoughts every so often :-) ***Look for the italics for added thoughts added in after writing the notes!
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch (talking cats, performing magic with a finger, magic potions) - I’m a total nerd and watched the hell out of this show as a kid...basic cable after school = Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I’m still waiting for my cat, Artemis, to start asking me for food one day ;-)
- Hocus Pocus (Evil witches, deals with the devil, consuming souls/essence to stay young) -You're not a true 90's kid if you don't at least know a line from this movie...one of my absolute favorites as a kid. I'm pretty sure I can still recite all of the lines from the Sanderson Sisters
- The Craft (Hexes, extreme spells, over exaggeration of some concepts like calling of the quarters, “Manon” aka Manannán Mac Lir)
- Harry Potter (Spells, wands, magical creatures, flying brooms) - As much as I would love for the world of Harry Potter to be a reality...there’s not a whole lot of truth behind J.K. Rowling’s words. I will say we did find our own little “Mandrake Root” with some turmeric, I refuse to juice the little guy :-)
- American Horror Story: Salem (The Seven Wonders, Stevie Nix aka “The White Witch,” hoodoo/voodoo, blood rituals, inherited gifts) - Best season, just saying
- Practical Magic, The Witches, The Wizard of Oz, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Brother's Grimm, Bewitched, Beautiful Creatures, Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Magick is the practice of imposing one’s will upon reality in order to create change. The changes created by magick can take place in the outside world, but the most potent changes occur inside the self – changing attitudes, expanding abilities, pushing accepted limits – all through the exercise of willpower. — Michelle Belanger, Psychic Dreamwalking: Explorations at the Edge of Self
- The science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will", including both "mundane" acts of will as well as ritual magic...it is theoretically possible to cause in any object any change of which that object is capable by nature," Aleister Crowley.
Coven vs. Solitary Practice
Spirit Science happens to be one of my absolute favorites on YouTube! Not only do they go into some deep concepts, especially covering sacred geometry in a full movie, but they do it in a fun colorful animation style that’s easy to digest. I’m still at the very beginnings of understanding sacred geometry but I’m fascinated by how strongly it relates to the science of everyday life….you start to really start staring at flowers and fractals so differently once you start down the rabbit hole.
- Monotheism: The belief in one deity
- Soft Polytheism: The belief in many deities as aspects of a greater force (i.e. The God and Goddess, the one Divine). -
Mine and Feather’s main belief system. Although we follow different pantheons primarily; we both believe that there is a generalized energy that can be manifested in different forms based on each person’s belief system. As for actually choosing a deity to either honor on a daily basis or for a specific ritual; I truly believe listening and looking for certain signs will be more helpful than trying to force on to come to mind. For almost 8 months I stressed over trying to find the perfect Goddess I could relate to and be proud to pray to. Most of my coven members had one Goddess or another that fit them so perfectly I almost felt like it would be too easy to just pick one that I liked...rather than one that made her/himself known to me in some mystical way. It was only when I stopped actively searching for a deity that she showed herself in the most obvious way...my husband randomly asked about Freyja and why I hadn’t looked into her. It literally took a blunt hammer but I finally felt like I could stop looking for something and be comfortable with my choice. *Sidenote* I do consider Freyja my “main deity” but that does not stop me from praying to different deities depending on my need or mood...luckily we’re practicing a religion that literally strives for growth and change...thus making everything you do correct as long as you have truly thought it out and are happy with YOUR decision :-)
- Hard Polytheism/Reconstructionist Hellenism: “The Gods are all separate and distinct entities with distinct personalities, spheres of influences, likes, dislikes, etc. Each God has a different birth, different relationships with other Gods, and is never referred to generically on a regular basis.”
- Till next time!-LeFay